Skip to main content

photo of receptionNEW!!!! Pilot Project - Strengthening Transitions for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders

New students connect with our services by filling in an on-line registration form so we can book an appointment to meet you!  This starts the process.

Watch this video to see what current students think about being registered with LDS!

Returning students can meet individually with their counsellor if they would like to make changes to their accommodations or if they do not need to make any changes they can  request updated letters of accommodation on line.

Students who suspect that they have an undiagnosed learning disability and/or ADHD  should read the information on our Testing for a Learning Disability and/or ADHD page.

York University has policies in place to ensure all students have equal opportunity to attain their educational goals.  The primary aim of Learning Disability Services (LDS) is to provide confidential support for students identified with learning disabilities (LDs), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs)  in order to facilitate their academic, personal and career goals.  If you are a Part-time or Full-time, undergraduate or graduate student, registered at York University with a diagnosed LD you may be eligible for academic accommodations.

Goals of LDS

  • Arrange for reasonable academic accommodations for registered students
  • Encourage registered students to become as independent as possible by familiarizing them with university policies and procedures and campus resources.
  • Increase awareness in the campus community about LDs, ADHD, ASDs

York's Learning Disability Services (LDS) began as a pilot project in 1985 as a result of a successful funding grant application by Dr. Harold Minden to The Counselling Foundation of Canada. Currently, LDS is a unit within Counselling & Disability Services and is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and is supported by York University.